Sunday, October 4, 2009

Research

TODAY's TO DO LIST:
  1. Find out how to write a book
  2. Buy/Borrow literature on the subject of publishing your work
  3. Become a member of a writer's association
  4. Connect with other writers

"Don't listen to those who tell you that writing a children's book is easier than writing a book for adults." This is the advice most children's book writers will tell you and it is absolutely right.

A huge part of my project has to do with research. Most of the month of September was spent asking myself this question, "How do I start writing a children's book?"

1. Find out how to write a book
I started visiting the library more often. Then, when I started racking up late book fees, I switched to Barnes and Noble and Vroman's bookstores. The first book that caught my attention was "Book in a Month" by Victoria Lynn Schmidt. Bingo! "I will read this book, follow the directions, and be finished with my book in a month", I thought. I was wrong. Sometimes a little thing called "your life" steps in and makes you not want to write anything for, like, a week. Then, that "month" turns into "a month and a half". Though, Schmidt has some pretty great advice that I will go into some other time.
For now, I have split up the tasks of writing and researching. Half the time, I write and the other half, I research. Needless to say, today is a research kind of day.
Researching publishers, websites for writers, subscribing to different e-newsletters like Publisher's Weekly etc...

2. Buy/Borrow literature on the subject of publishing your work
Amazon.com says this about "Writer's Market 2010":

  • It is the "most trusted guide to getting published"
  • "Written by writers for writers and backed by 89 years of authority
  • The #1 resource for helping writers sell their work.
  • Used by both seasoned professionals and writers new to the publishing world
  • Has helped countless writers transform their love of writing from a hobby into a career.
  • Nowhere else but in the 2010 Writer’s Market will you find the most comprehensive and reliable information you need.
So, of course I bought it. And so far so good... It is my publishing bible. I read it every night before bed time. And, I do whatever it tells me...[oooh, scary]


3. Become a member of a writer's association

I joined the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators). I read somewhere on VerlaKay.com (a website for writers) and Writer's Market 2010 (writer's bible) that some publishing companies will not accept work unless you have a literary agent or you are a member of the SCBWI. So, for $85/year you can belong to the SCBWI and network with other children's book writers and illustrators. They hold workshops and critiquing events different parts of the U.S.

4. Connect with other writers
http://www.kidlit.com/ is a "site for writers, readers and fans of children's literature written by Mary Kole associate agent at Andrea Brown Literary Agency!"

The other day, I wrote to Mary Kole and asked, "How do I make my characters meaningful to audiences today? Essentially, how can I prevent from sounding outdated?" Mary replied, "Jac, Thanks for asking. References are a tricky subject. Do you mind if I answer your question on the blog? I'll write a post about it this weekend." To which I replied, "I wouldn't mind it at all. Thanks."
I can't wait to read what she says!

NEXT BLOG: Observation #1-Locating the fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment