Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Observation #2: Follow the scent

This is Part 2 of the "Observation Deck" I am pulling from. Today's card was "Follow the scent" in which I am instructed to think about a time when I smelled something that brought back memories:

A couple weeks ago my sister and I went to eat at a Korean bbq restaurant.  As we entered the place she turned to me and said, "Oh my god, that smells so good." I replied, "Yeah, I know. I can't wait."  She didn't know this, but I lied.  I couldn't smell the delicious bbq meat conveniently cooking on everyone's tables.   I have a problem smelling scents right way.  I have no idea when this started.  As long as I can remember I've had sinus problems, ear aches, etc...  It hasn't bothered me as much as it has these past two years.  Two years ago, I was at work typing something on the computer when my co-workers came up to me and said the all to familiar "Oh, my, god, that smells so good!"  Most days, I just agree with people when they say that and just take their word for it.  This day, I became curious, What could smell that good at work?  They replied, "Can't you smell the Christmas tree they just put up in the front of the office?"  This saddened me.  I immediately thought to myself, This is sad, I can't smell Christmas.  

And, that's the thing about the power of Christmas, just the thought of it can make me miss a scent I haven't thought of in a while.  Even though Christmas is more than a month away, I miss being able to smell it.  I miss the smell of cinnamon that has no choice but to make it's way into our house during this time of year.  I miss the scent of hot chocolate and the smell of the air when it is cold or the smell of the masa when my family gets together to make tamales.  I miss that. 

Although I haven't completely lost the sense of smell, the fact that it is impaired has made me appreciate the few times I am able to smell something in the air.  It has made me notice the little things in life. And, hopefully this will help with whatever it is I begin to write about in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment